Los Angeles NRI golfer, Amarjit won the gross title among the 113 NRI golfers at 5th Chandigarh Golfing Tournament
Chandigarh, Dec. 21, 2009
Gurmeet Singh-Chd/ Gary Singh, LA
Click this Photo for bigger View
Amarjit Brara from Chino Hills (near Los Angeles), California won Chandigarh Golfing Tour Trophy
NRI golfer, Amarjit Brara, 48, from Chino Hills, Los Angeles won the gross title on December 20, 2009, 5th Chandigarh Golfing Tournament, which was organized The Chandigarh Golf Association.
More than 100 NRIs ( 113 non-resident Indians) from 12 Countries) participated in 5th Chandigarh Golfing Tournament, It lasted for three days, starting Dec. 18 and Golfing Tour was at Chandigarh, Panchkula and Chandi Mandir.
- Amarjit Singh Brara plays with a handicap of eight, was placed in the 15-24 handicap section as the organisers put him at a handicap of 19
- He started with a poor 13 over par 85 in the first round on Dec. 18
- He got higher pedestal after the second round on Dec. 19
- On Dec 20, at Panchkula Golf Club, he got five over par 77 on the picturesque to edge out the overnight leader Jazzy Sihota for the overall Golf Trophy.
Amarjit said, the Panchkula Golf Club greens were the best. He is one of the 44 NRIs from Los Angeles who participated in the 5th Chandigarh Golfing Tournament
US NRIs were occupying the top seven slots in the overall championship leaderboard
Chandigarh Dec. 20
NRI Bobby Kang of Los Angeles was leading by three strokes on the penultimate day on Dec. 19 and did not payed well today conceding a triple bogey, a double bogey and 11 bogeys to fall by the wayside posting a 15-over 87 card for a final tally of 250. US NRI Raj Patel finished a close second carding a gross 76 card.
Jazzy Sihota was crowned NRI king of the course. He played seven over par 79 to lift the oveall trophy with a total gross score of 241- on the par-72 greens of the Panchkula Golf Club.
US NRI Karampal Singh also carded a gross 79 on Dec. 20
US NRI Amrit Sidhu was declared the winner by the organising committee even Jazzy Sihota and Karampal Singh Cheema carded identical 79 scores
Karampal Singh Cheema score of 65, a nett winner for the day and Amrit Sidhu with 67 was declared the runner-up.
15-24 handicap category: In this category, Los Angles NRI Amarjit Brara, who won the gross title by firing a five over 77- with runner-up US NRI Gary Dhaliwal 79, UK NRI Neil S. Chahal 79
Los Angles NRI Amarjit Brara PLAYED the best gross card of 78 with US NRI Pritpal Deol finishing one stroke behind at 79.
Overall Golfing Tour Trophy:
- US NRI Jazzy Sihota 241
- US NRI Karampal Singh 244
- US NRI Bobby Kang 245
- Final day (.0-14 category): Gross:US NRI Amrit Sidhu 79, US NRI Jazzy Sihota 79 and US NRI Karampal Singh Cheema 79; Nett: US NRI Karampal Singh Cheema 65, Amrit Sidhu US NRI 67, Manjeet Bath US NRI 69.
Final day (15-24 category): Gross: US NRI Amarjit Brara 77, UK NRI Neil S Chahal 79 and US NRI Gary Dhaliwal 79. Nett: US NRI Amarjit Brara 58, US NRI Dalminder S. Minhas 58 and UK NRI Neil S. Chahal 60.
Nett category: Malaysia NRI Ishwar Singh Puarr was the winner. UK NRI Prabhakar Vallury was one stroke behind at 59.
- US NRI Vijay Sharma got 64 card with US NRI Karampal Cheema occupying the runner-up spot for the second successive day- 66 score.
Los Angeles NRI Nachhattar Bhullar was nearest to the pin at 3.4 in.
NRI Nachhatar Bhullar from Los Angeles who participated for the Chandigarh Junior Golfing Tour said:
- Chandigarh Golf Club, Chandi Mandir Golf Course, Punchkula Golf Course offers a cost-effective venue for playing golf, as compared to any of the major golf hubs in the world.· India is emerging as one of the world’s favoured destinations for investment, business and tourism.
- promoted tourism through its various outlets.
JS Cheema, general secretary, organising committee of the tournament said:
- We had organised four golfing tour and the previous tours were also very successful. In 2008 and in 2009, we had a participation of more than 100 players each year
- The tournament was played on a stroke play format and peoria scoring system applied.
- Only NRI participants were competing for the prizes.
- There were Gross and Net prizes for each of the three days. A championship trophy had gone to the over-all winner based on aggregate gross score all the three days. Special prizes for longest drive and 'Nearest to the Pin' and Straightest Drives' were awarded on all the three days along with spot prizes.
Golf in Chandigarh has become acclaimed popularly because of the achievements of Chiranjeev Milkha Singh who was also incidentally the first Indian to qualify for the European and Japanese PGA Tours . He has brought fame to Chandigarh and Golf in Chandigarh has received a tremendous thrust from this point onwards.
The Golf Club in Chandigarh was established in 1960. The 09 Hole course was enlarged to 12, when the benevolent governor - who surrendered a major chunk of land from his official resident - granted additional land to the club in 1966. It was only as late as September 1983 that a regular 18 Hole PAR 72 Course was finally laid out over Sprawling 132 acres
Chandigarh, Dec. 25, 2009: NRI Golf-Chandigarh-INDIA-
The much awaited 5th NRI tournament of the Tricity of Chandigarh,Panchkula and Chandimandir finally Teed off at the Chandigarh golf club with a super drive by none other The weather and the ambiance at the chandigarh was perfect for a golf for the 113 NRI s ....Read