Most trusted Name in the NRI media
Serving over 22 millions NRIs worldwide

Updated: NRI Amarjit Chohan & Family Murder Case

Three British criminals sentenced to life for
NRI millionaire family’s murder

London, July 6, 2005
Jagdeep Channa

Three British career criminals, convicted last week for the 2003 murder of NRI businessman, Amarjit Chohan and four of his family members, were sentenced on Tuesday to life imprisonment

At the Old Bailey Court, by announcing the sentence, Judge Sir Stephen Mitchell imposed a life sentence on the two men, telling them this meant they had ‘‘no prospect of release’’.

Third person, Peter Rees, 39, was sentenced to life for Chohan’s murder. He was also convicted of assisting an offender, but cleared of the other four murder charges.

Regan and Horncy were also sentenced to 12 years on a charge of wrongful imprisonment to be served concurrently.

What Regan had not understood was the way in which Indian families work. Chohan’s brother-in-law, NRI Onkar Verma who lives in New Zealand, immediately knew something was wrong when told his mother and sister had simply gone away. He flew to London and harangued the police into opening their investigation.

Despite a 10-month trial, one of the longest in Britain, costing £10 million, the gangsters have not disclosed how their victims were killed. The bodies were initially buried in a field but when the police closed in on the area, they were removed and tossed out at sea. All but the bodies of the children then washed up and were recovered, although badly decomposed. It seems unlikely now that the remains of the children will ever be found.

Two men guilty of family murders
NRI millionaire businessman Amarjit Chohan


London, July 1, 2005
Jagdeep Channa

Two men, a drug dealer and his henchman, Kenneth Regan, 55, and William Horncy, 52, were convicted at the Old Bailey today of murdering a businessman Amarjit Chohan and four of his relatives so Regan could take over Mr Chohan's freight company and use it as a front for importing drugs.

A jury convicted Regan, of Wilton, near Salisbury, Wiltshire, and his accomplice, Horncy, after deliberating for 13 days at the end of a complex £10m trial that began last November. It was one of the longest murder trials in British legal history according to guardian report. The jury of eight men and four women deliberated for a total of 61 hours over 13 days before reaching their unanimous verdicts.

Detectives put the cost of the eight-month case at 10 million pounds and said the two-year police investigation had involved over 1,000 officers and stretched from Britain to Belgium, the United States and India.

A third man, Peter Rees, 39, was convicted of murdering Amarjit Chohan and assisting an offender but cleared of the other four murder charges.

Mr Chohan, his wife, Nancy, their two sons, Devinder and Ravinder, and Mrs Chohan's mother, Charanjit Kaur, disappeared in February 2003 and were later murdered, the court heard during the trial.

NRI, Chohan's body was found floating in the sea near Bournemouth pier in April that year and his wife's body was recovered in the same area in July. Mrs Kaur's body was found in November 2003 in a bay of the Isle of Wight. The bodies of the boys are still missing.

Regan planned to make people think Mr Chohan, from Hounslow, west London, had given up his business and gone abroad voluntarily, prosecutor Richard Horwell told the jury. The prosecution said Regan then intended to run the freight company his way, using it as a front for drug running.

"Some crimes are beyond belief and, on any view, these horrific murders fall into that category," Mr Horwell told the court during the trial.

The prosecution said Regan lured Belinda Brewin - a friend of the late television presenter Paula Yates - into his scheme. Unknown to her, he used her 50-acre estate at Great Colefield House, Stoodleigh, Tiverton, Devon, to bury the Chohan family secretly.

The mass grave was dug up and the bodies dumped in the Channel when Miss Brewin became suspicious and contacted police, the court heard.

Regan had been convicted of drug dealing in 1998 and became a police informer to shorten his sentence, serving four years before being released in 2002. The trial heard he came up with the plan to target Mr Chohan because he was desperate for fresh funds to try and recapture the lavish lifestyle he had enjoyed before going to prison.

Regan denied the murders. Paul Mendelle, for Regan, argued there was "not a scrap of evidence" and that "Regan would have had to be desperate beyond belief to slaughter an entire family for the sake of a business".

Regan fled to Spain and then to Belgium as police moved in. He was arrested in Ghent in August 2003 and brought back to England to stand trial.


Any comments on this article or you have any news: Click here

Disclaimer will put up as many of your comments as possible but we cannot guarantee that all e-mails will be published. We reserve the right to edit comments that are published.

Mr Chohan, his wife, Nancy, their two sons, Devinder and Ravinder, and Mrs Chohan's mother, Charanjit Kaur, disappeared in February 2003

Two men, Kenneth Regan, 55, and William Horncy, 52,
were convicted