Entrepreneur Menon offers $1.8 million to save the lives
of four Indians- sentenced to death by a Saudi Arabia
Doha, March 20, 2011
Ajit Malhi/ Gary Singh, LA
Mr.C.K.Menon Philanthropist, Chairman and Managing Director of Behzad Group of Companies has offered $1.8 million as blood money to save the lives of the four Indian nationals sentenced to death by a Saudi Arabian court, Qatari daily Gulf Times reported on Sunday.
Four Indians all from Kerala. - Mohammad Fazaludeen, Mustafa Kunnath, Mohammad Mustafa and Zakir Hussain were convicted (sentenced to death) of killing Karnataka born an Indian compatriot, 24-year-old Mohammad Ashraf in Riyadh in 2008.
After a plea from Opposition leader of the Kerala Legislative Assembly, Menon agreed to make blood money payment to save the lives of the four Indians. Menon said I would also do whatever possible in future to help further the family of the deceased and I considered this a true humanitarian act as it involved saving four lives.
Cheril Krishna Menon, popularly known as C.K.Menon, a prominent philanthropist, is the Chairman and Managing Director of Behzad Group of Companies in the Middle East, Europe and USA. His commercial involvement stretches from Qatar to UAE, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, South America and UK with headquarters in Doha, Qatar. Mr. C. K. Menon's companies are mainly focused on fuel transportation by land and sea though recently he has entered the steel manufacturing business.
Mr. C. K. Menon, who spreads light in the life of tens of thousands of people in his country and abroad, was born in Thrissur in 1949 as the son of Sree Ramajayam Transport company owner Puliangottil Narayanan Nair and Cheril Karthyayani Amma. After education at Thrissur CMS School, St. Thomas College and Kerala Varma College, he went onto become a graduate in Law from Jabalpur. It was after practicing in the Thrissur Court and the Kerala High Court for two years that C. K. Menon forayed into the world of business.
Mr. Menon, philanthropist:
- He believes that Charity is not being merciful to the lesser fortunate, but it is their right. His charitable and social activities are widespread and have great influence on the people of India.
- He is at the helm of several social welfare and educational activities both in his country and abroad, apart from his leading role in business.
- He has built and handed over one hundred houses to the slum dwellers of his birthplace, Thrissur two years ago.
- He has played a major role in constructing houses in the "Laksham Veedu" colony at Puthupally and the M N "Laksham Veedu" restoration project announced by the Govt of Kerala.
- Patron of "Adarsh"- a model institution that epitomizes compassion and love. Children from various religions are studying at this charitable venture functioning at Thripoonithura, Kerala. "Adarsh" is dedicated for the rehabilitation of children (having symptoms of cerebral palsy and other motor-sensory childhood development disorders like autism) on a purely charitable basis. This institution was highly commended by the then President His Excellency A.P.J.Abdul kalam who inaugurated the institution’s new wing.
- Mr. Menon has also become a role model for communal harmony by building masjid for his Muslim brethren where 400 of them can offer their prayers at a time. It could very well be the first time after Cheraman Perumal in the late 8th century that a Hindu believer is building a masjid. He was also deeply involved in the establishment of the School of Bhagavat Gita-Trivandrum.
Recognition & Awards:
- Mr. Menon is a director of Kerala Government's expatriates welfare association NORKA ROOTS.
- He is also the Director of Infrastructure Kerala Ltd (INKEL), set up by the Govt. of Kerala in 2007 for envisaging the development of infrastructure in Kerala.
- A director of Jai Hind TV, he is also a director of a number of educational institutions in Kerala and outside.
- Mr. C. K. Menon has been adorned with a number of awards including the Indian "Pravasi Bharatiya Samman" in 2006.
- Member of the board of trustees of the Indian Development Foundation: The most recent recognition that has come C.K. Menon's way is the proposal by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs to nominate him as a member of the board of trustees of the Indian Development Foundation, established under the directives from the honorable Prime Minister, Sri Manmohan Singh, a not-for-profit trust to channelise philanthropic activities by overseas Indian
Mr.C.K.Menon receiving Gold Medal from Dr.A.P.J.Abdul
Kalam(Former President of India)
Mr.C.K.Menon receiving the Padmashree Awards, 2009,
from president Pratibha Patil on March 31 in recognition of his
out-standing Contribution in the field of Social Service
BEHZAD CORPORATION is one of the leading corporated company in Middle East. Established in 1983, the company has been providing exceptionally professional transportation services to the nation’s construction sector.Tanker Fleets, which are well maintained and serviced regularly, strictly adhering to the country’s rules and regulations of safety. Exclusively for Diesel and Water transportation, the tankers are available in varying capacities ranging from 10,000 Litres to 50,000.
Qatar Hindu Entrepreneur building a mosque in Kerala state
Kerala , Jan 18, 2011
Chairman and Managing Director of Behzad Group of Companies, Mr.C.K.Menon is building a mosque in Kerala state with the aim of promoting communal harmony. The mosque in Kozhikode will be the first to be built in the state by a Hindu in over 1,200 years.
The mosque will be ready in two to three months. Over 400 people can offer prayers in that mosque at a time