Dalip Singh Rana (The Great Khali) was born on August 27, 1972
at Dhirana village in Himachal Pradesh, India. He had seven other
brothers and sisters. He was the third oldest among them. His village
is surrounded by mountains and it is one of the most beautiful hill
stations of India. He lives in a Bungalow at Jalandha, Punjab, India
Due to poverty, he didn't attend much school. He started working
as stone breaker for a road construction projects on daily wages
to help his poor family. His exceptional growth and God gifted power,
he started playing different sports and became good sportsman.
In 1993, Punjab's Director General of police, Mr. M.S. Bhullar
looked his ability in sports and his bodybuild, offered him a job
in the Punjab Police as a constable. Dalip Singh Rana became financially
strong and then spend more time in bodybuilding by joining Gyms
and Boxing clubs in Jalandhar.
In 1997 and 1998, he won the title of Mr. India out of 100s participants.
From this day, he became popular in whole India and icon for the
youth of Punjab.
In 1999, with the support of his relatives and friends, he got
a work permit of USA and joined the wrestling school of All Pro
Wrestling. In the training, he learned different wrestling moves
safely and made to debut in the year 2000 at All Pro Wrestling.
He is the first wrestler from India ever to get into the WWE. Tiger
Ali Singh also got signed up but he is Candian NRI.
Ten Sports has signed a six year deal with WWE and collecting a
lot of money from the Indian subcontinent for the companies. He
wrestles on the Smackdown brand
Dalip Singh is a Rajput Hindu by religion, contradicting to the
popular belief of him being a Sikh. Our press reporter talked to
his friends in Jallandhar and found:
- Dalip Singh Rana is a very strong believer in God and loves
to take part in Religious Ceremonies.
- He is a very simple person, soft spoken and is generally regarded
as very fan-friendly.
- He never denies anyone for autographs and photographs.
- He regularly visits his village, helps poor people and make
contribution for Hospitals and Schools
- He likes to drive cars and wishes to drive all kinds.
- He made his home town at Jalandhar, regularly visits various
Gyms in the city and help young kids to participate.
- Before going to US, he didn't knew English, but right now he
does speak little English from time to time and can understand
it very well
- He likes to eat all kind of Punjabi food
- He likes to open professional wrestling schools in India and
wants to see more young people into pro wrestling. He is a role
model to the youngsters of Punjab. He advises them to stay away
He is married to a Punjabi woman Harminder Kaur on February 27,
2002. He is currently working for the WWE in USA but he is still
Indian Citizent, not US permanant resident. He has still has a job
as a Sub-Inspector in Punjab Police at Jalandhar.
The word "Khali", he has chosen from Indian Goddess of
Power, Kaali. American people changed from Kaali to Khali because
it is easily pronounce Khali.
He is 7'3" and weighs 420 pounds. He is most famous for his
role in the Adam Sandler film, The Longest Yard.
He has not only been a WWE world heavyweight champion, but also
a Hollywood actor. He has acted in ’The longest yard’.
Khali said he was keenly following instructions from the film's
director Hadi Abrar, as he danced with kids for the song number
Great Khali Movies
- WWE The Great American Bash 2006, on DVD
- WWE Royal Rumble, on DVD
- WWE Judgment Day 2006 on DVD
- ECW December To Dismember on DVD (2006)
- Wrestlemania 23: The Ultimate Limited Edition on DVD (2007)
- Wrestlemania 23 on DVD (2007)