Joe Sandhu is an Entrepreneur, Philanthropist and Educationist
Los Angeles, Aug. 15, 2019
NRIpress.club/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh Grewal
Joe Sandhu moved to USA on January 7, 1972 under special education bases program in a Quota Visa System. By profession, he is a Math teacher.
Now he owns 4 businesses including Del Taco, subway, Hispanic Market and Indian restaurant in Los Angeles and Riverside area of California
Education in India:
- Joe Sandhu went to Nakodar High school and graduated in 1964.
- He got his BSc degree from Lyallpur Khalsa college Jalandhar in 1968
- In1970, he completed Master degree in Math (Hons) from Punjab university under scholarship program throughout his education career
- 1970-71, Joe Sandhu got teaching job as lecturer at Khalsa college Mohilpur, Hoshiarpur, Punjab
“After migrated to USA, I worked in the farming field for 5 months to make some money to go to college in California,” said Mr. Sandhu. “This was a tough job for me to pick peaches and grapes. After making some money from farming field, I bought small car so that I could move around to complete his teaching degree.”
- He worked as lab technician and also went to school to complete his higher education
- He completed his Honorary MA in Math in one year from Sacramento State University
- In 1975, Garey H/School offered him a Math teaching job to teach Geometry, Algebra and Calculus.
- In 1976, School offered him various curriculum activity in field Hockey, soccer and track.
Joe Sandhu said:
School offered me to coach soccer team and it took 2 years to build a good team. Next eleven years of teaching and coaching made me a pioneer in both fields
- 8 times teacher of year for Garey HS.
- 10 times the coach of the year for (Heiahenda league)
- 10 League Championship
- 4 times played state tournament
“In 1989, State of California selected me to write a curriculum alone with five other teachers, State curriculum still exist for graduating seniors and it helps to pass sat test as well,” said Mr. Sandhu. “I was also elected teacher of the year for state of California end of 1989 school year. I was so grateful of “GOD” for giving me such a honor.”
When I left India in 1972, I had three things in mind:
- Bring all my close family members to US
- Help my village Gahndran through education and health facilities.
- Bring some educated youngster in USA to improve and help our community
Tournament & Wrestling matches on March 13-15 every year at Gahndran Village:
- To keep my father and mother’s name alive I along with our great village people & NRI from all over the world come & celebrate Tournament & Wrestling matches every year on March 13-15.
- All three days we have a great time with all players, wrestlers, families, and fans to get together and reconnect with friends and teammates at our village.
- Sports lovers from all surrounding areas in huge numbers, enjoy Tournaments, followed by a vibrant cultural program.
- Typical Punjabi food, coupled with hot tea and samosas, are served throughout the day to the spectators, free of cost.
I completed these projects with the help of my village people & NRIs around the world.
Joe Sandhu had a dream to build a Gurdwara in Riverside when NRI sikh community used to have Gurdwara once a month from house to house.
- In 1980, a dream come true when Joe Sandhu and some community leaders bought a piece of property to build Gurdwara.
- Joe S. Sandhu was elected Chairman, Ujajar Jhaj-president, Jasminder S. Grewal-V.P, Manohar Singh Dhaliwal-Secretary and Shangara Singh Treasure.
- In June 1988, all Gurdwara members started to build Riverside Gurdwara and they also completed bigger assembly hall within next four years
Joe Sandhu is US Citizen and proud to be Punjabi background. He was born in 1947 to poor family father Madan Singh and mother Karam Kaur. In 1969, Mr. Sandhu was married to Malkiat Kaur and they have two sons Ron& Mack and two daughters Karen & Parmjit. He loves and always busy with his Grand kids (5 boys & 3 girls).