LONDON, April 04, 2004: Lakshmi Mittal, NRI steel baron and
Chairman of the LNM Group, world's second-largest steel producer,
emerged as the richest Asian and fourth wealthiest person in
According to 'The Rich Report 2004' brought out by The Mail
on Sunday 53-year-old Mittal, who flies 560,000 km a year in
his private jet to pursue deals, showed nerves of steel to increase
his fortune by almost 2 billion pounds in the last one year.
His wealth was put at 3.1 billion pounds this year as against
1.25 billion pounds in 2003.
The Hinduja brothers - Srichand, Gopichand and Prakash - are
listed as the second richest Asians and 34th wealthiest in Britain
with a fortune of 905 million pounds this year as against 670
million pounds last year.
Other NRIs who figure in the Rich list are:
- Flamboyant metals and mining guru' Anil Agarwal (640 million
- Jatania brothers and Tom Singh (330 million pounds each)
- Vijay and Bhikhu Patel (292 million pounds)
- Gulu Lalvani family (240 million pounds)
- Jasminder Singh and family (217 million pounds)
- Bharat and Ketan Mehta (165 million pounds)
- Dinesh Dhamija (132 million pounds).
Roman Abramovich, Russian oligarch who was born into grinding
poverty in a frozen Soviet wasteland, is revealed as Britain
's new richest man with a wealth of 7.2 billion pounds.