Is Khaira's forcast about NRI's vote for congress too optimistic?
Texas, Jan 06, 2011
Sukhpal Singh Khaira. MLA Bholath
After having completed half my tour of the USA, I am of the firm opinion, that there is great resentment, against the anti-people SAD-BJP government, in the minds of the Non Resident Indians (NRI) of America. As we are aware, there are approximately over 5 million NRIs spread across the globe and have progressed and made their presence felt, in all spheres including political, social, and religious fields.
The NRI fraternity of USA feel slighted and cheated by Mr. Badal who had invited thousands of NRI’s from all over the world couple of years back, and had promised them respect besides ensuring, safety of their life and property back home in Punjab. Unfortunately even after over two years none of his promises of creating special police stations, fast track courts, and congenial atmosphere for investment of NRI’s in Punjab have taken any concrete shape. The NRI’s are particularly peeved over rampant corruption in the state, manifold increase in drugs in Punjab thriving with political-police nexus. Many NRI’s during our meetings complained of highhandedness at the hands of the police, one such example, is that of Mr. Chain Singh Khera, A prosperous farmer of Yuba City, California, has been cheated of cores of his property by police-political mafia in district Hoshiarpur. All his complaints addressed to the CM and DGP have fallen on deaf ears.
My meetings were extremely well attended in new york , Chicago, Sacramento, San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, and many other cities of California. I urged the NRI community that the time was ripe now, to invest in Punjab. I am of the opinion that:
- Lakhs out of this 5 million NRI’s had the capacity to make big industrial investment in Punjab, which can improve economy besides providing employment to the youth.
- I have also requested them to contribute liberally for our dilapidated education and health services so that the poor can avail these services to fulfill their basic needs.
- It’s high time the NRI’s move further from promotion of ‘kabadi’ and beautification of Gurdwara’s of Punjab to the above mentioned shattered education and health services of the state.
- In order to invite NRI’s into Punjab we have to make amends in our attitude, unless the political leadership and the bureaucracy of the state respect and ensures the dignity of the NRIs no investment can come to Punjab.
- We have to ensure single window clearance to the NRI investment and we must remove red tapeism, bureaucratic wrangles and eradicate the ‘babu’ culture in order to welcome NRI investment in Punjab.
I also sensed a strong wave in favor of the congress party headed by the dynamic leadership of Captain Amarinder Singh in the minds of the Punjabi diaspora of America.
NRI’s are eagerly awaiting the 2012 assembly elections of Punjab during which thousands of them have promised to come to Punjab to campaign for the congress party. Promenaded NRI community leaders including:
- Mr. Phuman Singh, President, Indian National Overseas Congress (INOC) New York
- Mr. Jarnail Singh, President Baba Makhan Shah Lubana Gurudwara.
- Mr. Himat Singh, Ex-President Baba Makhan Shah Lubana Gurudwara
- Mr. Amolakh Singh Ghakhal, Chairman United Sports Club California
- Mr. Paul Sahota, President INOC California
- Mr. Mangal Singh Bhandal prominent transporter, Tut Brothers, Lasher Brothers participated in my public campaign besides honoring me in various Gurdwaras.