NRI Vibhav Mittal of Yorba Linda, California, sworn in as First Judge on Orange County Superior Court
Los Angeles, Sep. 16, 2021
NRIpress.club/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh
California Governor Gavin Newsom appointed Judge Vibhav Mittal of Yorba Linda, California on Orange County Superior Court, Sept. 3, 2021. He was sworn in Sept. 10 by Assistant Presiding Judge Maria Hernandez.
Mr. Mittal served as a law clerk for the Honorable Amul Thapar, when he sat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, and worked at Quinn Emanuel LLP in San Francisco on patent and trade secret litigation.
Mr. Mittal has served on the board for the South Asian Bar Association of Southern California as the Judicial Evaluations Co-Chair, and is currently on the Orange County Bar Association’s Diversity Committee. Mr. Mittal has coached the mock trial team at Segerstrom High School in Santa Ana since 2014.
- Vib Mittal is an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney's Office for the Central District of California, where he currently serves as a Deputy Chief in Santa Ana.
- Mr. Mittal worked in the semiconductor industry.
Mr. Mittal supervises five federal prosecutors and serves as the office’s Public Corruption Coordinator and Civil Rights Co-Coordinator for Orange County.
Since joining the office in 2011, Mr. Mittal has been lead counsel on 13 trials, including matters involving public corruption, financial fraud, hacking, trademark infringement, child exploitation, immigration crimes, and drug trafficking. In the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Mr. Mittal has argued six times and filed over 20 appellate briefs.
Mr. Mittal serves on his office’s Diversity Committee and Hiring Committee.
- Mr. Mittal is a Department of Justice (“DOJ”) Ambassador for UCI School of Law and NYU School of Law.
- Mr. Mittal has trained attorneys on trial issues like jury selection and responding to jury notes.
- Mr. Mittal has taught trial advocacy to new federal prosecutors from across the country at the DOJ’s National Advocacy Center. Previously, Mr. Mittal was an Extern Coordinator for the Santa Ana office.
- Mittal has also served the Asian American Pacific Islander community
- Vibhav Mittal received his law degree from the New York University School of Law.
- Mr. Mittal obtained a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
- He got B.A. in Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley.