in the Fortune list of 40 richest in India
New York, Nov. 17, 2006
Forbes magazine released the list of 'India's 40 Richest' persons
which includes, Lakshmi Mittal, a NRI of UK, remains No. 1, worth
Wipro Chief Azim Premji, for years India's richest resident, was
aheaded by Mukesh and Anil Ambani. Mukesh's fortune rose by $11.5
billion, Anil's $9.3 billion. Azim Premji is in the fourth position
followed by real estate major DLF's Kushal Pal Singh.
- Kumar Mangalam Birla paid $1 billion to buy the Tata Group's
stake in their telecom joint venture
- Venugopal Dhoot who is set to acquire Daewoo Electronics for
- New entrepreneurs are also included:
- Sun TV Kalanithi Maran
- promoter of Unitech Ramesh Chandra
- Jignesh Shah, who set up India's largest commodities exchange.
- tractor tycoon Keshub Mahindra
- Infosys Technologies co-founder K Dinesh
India's 40 richest businesspeople are worth total $170 billion.
It has gone up from $106 billion last year.