Dual Citizenship to
July 16, 2004
The Minister of State (Independent charge) for NRI Affairs, Shri Jagdish
Tytler told the Rajya Sabha today that Overseas citizenship has been
provided to Persons of Indian Origin of the following countries..
10. New Zealand
12. Republic of Cyprus
15. United Kingdom
The Minister, however, clarified that NRIs are already Indian Citizens
and as such no dual citizenship has been provided to them. He was replying
to a question by Smt. Kum Kum Rai.
Shri Tytler further told that the criteria for selecting countries
to provide dual citizenship comprises of longstanding and clear demand
by the PIO community; local consensus and prevailing environment; and
local laws should permit dual citizenship.
The PIOs get many benefits from Overseas Citizenship.
- Issuance of a registration certificate on being granted Overseas
- Issuance of overseas citizen passport;
- No requirement of visa for travel to India (both passports will
be required to be presented while travelling to/from India);
- No registration formalities for staying in the country up to 180
- No separate documentation required for admission in colleges/institutions
or for taking employment;
- Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available
to the latter in the economic, financial and educational fields;
- Facilities as available to children of NRIs for obtaining admission
to educational institutions in India, including medical colleges,
engineering colleges, institute of technology, institute of management
etc. under the general category.
- Shri Tytler said that the benefits accruing to India by providing
dual citizenship are:
- Strengthening of emotional and cultural ties with India
- Important role of PIOs in the development process
- Foreign investment in various sectors
- Transfer of technology
Greater coordination with motherland