Sikh Community conducted a Memorial Gathering at LA City Hall for Temple shooting victims
Los Angeles, August 12, 2012
Kirtan Singh Khalsa/ Amrit Singh Sekhon, M.D
The Sikh Community of Southern California conducted a special Memorial Gathering for the victims of the August 5th shooting at the Gurdwara in Wisconsin where six Sikh Americans were killed.
The program was coordinated by Amrit Singh Sekhon, M.D., long-time community leader in Southern California and one of the founding members of the Vermont Gurdwara. The event was intended to bring together Sikhs from various Gurdwaras in the Region in a joint memorial, whereas throughout the week Memorials were in the evenings at Guru Ram Das Ashram, Khalsa Care Foundation, Walnut Gurdwara, Buena Park Gurdwara and the Lankershim Gurdwara. The event attracted many members from various Faith communities, as well as members of Law Enforcement and Local Government representatives. Several hundred attendees participated in the event and drew from not only the Sikh Community, but citizens of Los Angeles from all walks of life.
The event was held in the beautiful surroundings outside the steps of Los Angeles City Hall in downtown Los Angeles. The program's Master of Ceremonies were Nirinjan Singh Khalsa. Speakers from the Sikh Community included Amrit Singh Sekhon, Kirtan-Singh Khalsa, Zowarwar Singh, Bhupinder Kaur of SALDEF and Navraj Singh Bhatia - 2 time candidate for US Congress. The program began with an Ardas and Kirtan by Bhai Jaswant Singh followed by the singing of the Song of the Khalsa by the Sikh Dharma Kirtan Jetha.
The name of the speakers where as follows:
- LA City Council member Jan Perry - from the 9th Council District
- LA City Controller Wendy Greuel - running for Mayor
- Deputy Cheif Micheal Downing - LAPD
- Paule Cruz Takash - President LA City Human Relations Commission
- Rabbi Mark Diamond - Representing the Los Angeles Council of religious Leaders and the Board of Rabbis
- The Reverand Dr. Gwynne Guibord - founder and president of the Guibord Foundation
- Dr. Jerry Campell - President Claremont School of Theology, Claremont Lincoln University
- Bhante Chao Chu - Los Angeles Bhuddhist Union
- Salam Al Marayati - Executive Director MPAC (Muslim Public Affairs Council)
- Randy Dobbs - Administrator Los Angeles Bahai Center
- Simon Simonian - Religious Society of friends, "The Quakers"
- Ruth Broyde Sharon - Representitive from "A Parliment of the Worlds Religions"
We extend our special thanks to:
- Sikh Dharma
- Nirinjan Singh Khalsa for connecting with the LA City Hall, Council Members, The Police and Interfaith leaders.
- - Kirtan Singh Khalsa for valuable guidance and constant support
- Guru Ramdas Ashram quire for singing Song of the Khalsa
For constant support - Navraj Singh Bhatia - Rep. 2 time candidate for US Congress for promoting the Sikhs..
For Sound system - Bhai Jaswant Singh ji and jatha for Gurbani Kirtan
For timely drinking water - Iqbal Singh & brothers
Camera, e-media, print media and video support:
- Gurdial Singh, Jasdeep Singh Mann, Gary Grewal - NRI Press, Jagjit Singh Bains - Sir Speedy Printers for the community, Depinder Singh - India journal
Volunteers - Aman Singh, Inderjot Singh, Baldev Singh Bajwa, Ajaib Singh, Gurdev Singh, Baldev Singh Johal, Ronak Singh, Sarabjit Singh Sodhi; Gurdeep Singh Malik, Harmel Singh, Lashkar Singh Samra....and much more
All Gurdwaras for their cooperation .