Nandan Nilekani, Co-Chairman of Infosys Technologies Ltd, is an
Indian software entrepreneur and net worth: USD $1.3 Billion. He
is also a co-founder, along with N. R. Narayana Murthy and other
In 1981, Nilekani and six other colleague who were working in Patni
Computer Systems decided to start their own company, InfoSys. The
whole group was led by N. R. Narayana Murthy to complete this project.
In 2002, he became the Chief Executive Officer of Infosys, taking
over from Murthy. He served as CEO and MD of the company from March
2002 to April 2007. He gave his position to his colleague Kris Gopalakrishnan
and becoming Co-Chairman
Nilekani was born in Sirsi, Karnataka and second-youngest son of
Durga and Mohan Rao Nilekani, a manager in Minerva Mills. He moved
in with his uncle's family in Dharwad for his education, studying
at Bishop Cotton Boys School, Bangalore, and attending the Indian
Institute of Technology, Bombay from 1973. He is a co-founder of
India's National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM).
He is also the chairperson of the Bangalore Agenda Task Force (BATF).
- In 2004, he was named one of "Asia's Power 25 – The
Most Powerful People in Business in Asia" by Fortune magazine
- In 2006, he became one of the youngest entrepreneurs to join
20 global leaders on the World Economic Forum (WEF) Foundation
- In 2006, he was regarded by TIME magazine as one of the "100
Most Influential People in the World"
- In 2006, he was named "Business Leader of the Year"
in Asia by Forbes
Nilekani wrote a book "Imagining India" and launched
on November 24, 2008. Idea of this book is:
- Democracy, globalization and demography have had on India's
growth and development.
- Slow progress in the areas of infrastructure and the provision
of primary education to all, to the ideological deadlock when
it comes to politics, higher education and labor reforms.
- Ideas that are vital to cementing India's position as a global
power - that of its social security provisions, its policies on
clean energy and the environment.
- Its ability to deal with lifestyle-related diseases and ailments.
His wife, Rohini Nilekani, is an English-language writer and novelist.
They have two children, a daughter Janhavi and a son Nihar, both
of whom attend Yale University.