in cancer of the breast, colon/rectum and endocrine system, soft
tissue tumors, melanoma and head and neck surgery
NRI, Rajiv V. Datta, 45, M.D., FACS, FRCS, FICS, Vice Chairman
Department of Surgery, Director of the Division of Surgical Oncology
and Head and Neck Surgery, is one of the leading head and neck
surgeons in the U.S. and an international leader in surgical oncology.
He is board certified in surgery.
- He was born in New Delhi and raised in Mumbai
- He graduated medical degree from Grant Medical College of the
University of Bombay in Bombay, India. His parents, especially
his mother encouragement him to complete a surgical oncology fellowship
at the renowned Tata Memorial Hospital, the largest cancer center
- He spent about three years in the United Kingdom, receiving
advanced training in surgical oncology and plastic surgery and
became a fellow at the Royal College of Surgeons.
- Datta came to the United States in 1994 and completed an internship
and residency in general surgery at Maimonides Medical Center
in the Brooklyn, N.Y. The following year he served as a research
fellow at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and chief resident
at Maimonides Medical Center. This was followed by a rare opportunity
for a dual fellowship in head and neck oncology and surgical oncology
at the prestigious Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Before joining the staff at South Nassau in 2001, he was director
of surgical oncology at Maimonides Medical Center
- Dr. Datta is a fellow of the prestigious International College
of Surgeons. The fellowship is awarded to select surgeons around
the world whose education and training, professional qualifications,
surgical competence and ethical conduct have passed a rigorous
evaluation and have been found to be consistent with the high
standards established by the College.
- He has written extensively on the topic of thyroid neoplasms
and colon cancer screening and is a member of several national
and regional professional organizations, including the American
Society of Head and Neck Surgery and the Society of Surgical Oncology.
- Dr. Datta's wife, a PhD in cell biology, "has been a very
positive support" for his career while also raising their
two daughters, aged nine and eleven.