NRIs from all over the world/ Team Anna and local NGOs (like HELP)
as part of poll-bound Punjab
Los Angeles, California
Gary Singh, California/Ashok Gupta Chandigarh
Actually now a days, NRIs are very fascinated to invest in Punjab when they make comparison between Gujarat and Punjab. This is the reason thousands of NRIs are in Punjab during the election.
'We want to come but the government does not support us much. I wanted to provide help to the government on road safety, came out with a project which was completely free, but no one helped me,' said Kamal Singh, a real estate specialist in Canada, who is in Canada for the last 30 years.
Mr. Bhullar, NRI from California said, we want changes now and politicians must understand that what we want .
Another NRI, Hary Grewal from Ludhiana said: Thanks for media and we realized that officials are doing there jobs now . In election time, we can see big changes and never happened before. Read Below:
- Cash Rs 28.3 crore, unaccounted, has been been rcovered in behalf of the Election Commission (EC) and referred to the Income Tax department. Also recovered 143,070 country liquor bottles, 10 kg opium, 6.35 kg of heroin and 2,300 kg poppy husk.
- The Election Commission, ECI has ordered that there is no prohibition on appointing of NRIs as polling agents in the Punjab assembly elections. NRI appointed as a polling agent should be a voter in the area
- Last week, Congress Party flagged off a cavalcade of the NRIs under a special poll campaign 'Chalo Punjab' from New Delhi to Chandigarh.
- Capt Amarinder Singh has promised to set up a special department to address the grievances of the NRIs and also a proposal of a special NRI court would be taken up with the state chief justice. He further said, “We have put it in our manifesto that we will take it up with the Chief Justice of Punjab to make special courts for NRIs so that on a day to day basis cases are taken and disposed off soon.”
- Nearly 10-12 bureaucrats or officials are in race of this election:
- Darbara Singh Guru, a powerful bureaucrat as principal secretary to Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, is now the official candidate of the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal from the Bhadaur (reserved) assembly seat against popular folk singer Mohammad Sadique of the Congress.
- P.S. Gill, Former Punjab director general of police (DGP), who retired in September last year and is the Akali Dal candidate for the Moga seat.
- Others bureaucrat and officials are:
- S.R. Kler was additional deputy commissioner of Ludhiana, has been in the election race from Jagraon by the Akali Dal.
- In Malerkotla, a Muslim votebank, the wives of two top police officers are fighting it out.
- Razia Sultana (2 time Congress legislator), wife of serving additional director general of police (ADGP) Mohammed Mustafa and her opponent, Farzana Alam of the Akali Dal, is the wife of former DGP Izhar Alam.
Under the banner of India Against Corruption, on Tuesday, Team Anna members including Arvind Kejriwal, Sisodia, Kumar Vishwas, Prashant Bhushan and Kiran Bedi started Punjab as part of their visit to poll-bound states where they plan to highlight the need for a strong Lokpal bill. They did not campaign for and against any party in Amritsar and Jalandhar, Phagwada, Navanshahr and Ludhiana
Some organizations in India are working very hard to bring changes in the system: Organisation such as Local NGO, Human Empowerment League of Punjab (HELP), is working for civil, democratic and human rights in Punjab. The action they took, few examples are:
- Organisation Human Empowerment League of Punjab (HELP) has sent representations to the Election Commission of India and Chief Electoral Officer Punjab regarding violation of clause 123 of 'Representation of the People Act 1951' by the religious leaders in Punjab. The Commission has failed to take suitable action in this regard and some leaders of religious places (deras) are going to announce the support for the selected candidates.
- Urged the Team Anna, not to oppose any party during the forthcoming assembly polls in the state.
- Rs 1cr embezzled from Bhagat’s function
- Nearly 70% of youth in Punjab are in the grip of drugs
Punjab needs investment now because unemployment and drugs is the biggest problem in Punjab. It certainly gives you an idea of what people overseas also think of the Punjab and about whole India. Investment is a one way process whereas business opportunities comprise of partnerships, join ventures and involving local industries. FREE ELECTRICITY AND OTHER FREE THINGS ARE NOT THE SOLUTION.