Connecting over 25 millions NRIs worldwide
Most trusted Name in the NRI media

Lakhvinder Cheema died and his fiancee Gurjeeta Kaur in a critical condition- Two NRIs arrested


NRI woman arrested after ex-lover dies and his fiance remains critical
'in cyanide poisoning'


London, Jan 29, 2009
Sant Parkash Singh

NRI Lakhvinder Cheema, 39, and his fiancee Gurjeeta Kaur, 21, were admitted to the West Middlesex Hospital when they had become seriously ill after eating food at home in Feltham. Mr. Cheema collapsed and died at 2.36am. Gurjeeta Kaur was described as in critical condition.

The hospital officials became suspicious about the nature of their illness and called the police. The police thought that lethal chemicals were allegedly slipped into the couple’s food. It sparked a massive alert with police fearing a biological or chemical attack. They sealed off the house and teams wearing nuclear and chemical fallout suits were called. They thought airborne chemical or biological attack was under way. A special vans fitted with air filtration systems and firefighters were called to follow up.

After testing, the HPA declared safe area. The police started murder investigation. On Thursday, a post mortem conducted at Fulham Mortuary. The sources said that tests found cyanide, or any cyanide product was added to their food


  • Lakhver Kaur, 39, ex-lover of Lakhvinder Cheema, was arrested over a suspected cyanide poisoning that killed Lakhvinder Cheema and left his fiancée Gurjeeta Kaur fighting for her life. She works for a catering company. It is believed that she is married mother (3 kids) and also had relationship with Lakhve's brothe-in-law.
  • Varinda Singh, 54, brother-in-law ( Lakhvinder Cheema's sister's husband) of Windsor, was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder. The detectives are examining if he played a part in a conspiracy.

Lakhvinder Cheema and Varinda Singh, brother-in-law ( Lakhvinder Cheema's sister's husband)

One line of police inquiry is that they were targeted because their relationship had "dishonoured" the Punjabi Sikh families.

Lakhvinder Cheema, 39, worked for a pest control company- Rentokil-Initial since 1994. He lived in his four-bedroom home with two tanents. He was renovating his house to settle with his fiancée. The couple, who had been due to marry in India in March. His company supervisor said he was lovely man, very polite, good hurted person and help others.

He had recently separated from Lakhver Kaur.