3 NRI women among America’s 80 richest self-made women: Forbes
3 NRIs Net worth: Jayshree Ullal-$1.42 billion/Neerja Sethi $1.1 billion/Neha Narkhede $360M
Around 38 women, live in California. 9 women live in New York.
Los Angeles, June 10, 2019
NRIpress.club/Ramesh/ A.Gary Singh Grewal
Three NRI women, Jayshree Ullal who was born in London and raised in New Delhi, Neerja Sethi and Neha Narkhede, both born in India, created new businesses and amassing fortunes than ever before. List members range in age from 21 to 92, and are worth a combined USD 81.3 billion. Around 38 women , live in California. 9 women live in New York. 19 women were born in other countries.
Jayshree Ullal, Arista Networks: Jayshree Ullal is a billionaire businesswoman, (Net worth $1.42 billion as March 2018) president and CEO of Arista Networks, a cloud networking company responsible for the deployment of 10/25/40/50/100 Gigabit Ethernet networking in the data center.
Jayshree Ullal was born in London, and raised in New Delhi. After schooling in India:
- She graduated with a B.S. in engineering (electrical) from San Francisco State University.
- She received a master's degree in engineering management from Santa Clara University.
Jayshree started to work as engineering and strategy positions at Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and Fairchild Semiconductor.
- She was director of internetworking products at Ungermann-Bass for four years before joining Crescendo Communications.
- At Crescendo, Ullal became vice president of marketing, working with 100-Mbit/s over copper, the first CDDI products and first generation Ethernet switching.
In 1993, Crescendo Communications was acquired by Cisco Systems;
- Under Cisco’s first acquisition, Ullal joined Cisco and began work on the Cisco Catalyst switching business, which grew from its beginning, in 1993, to a $5 billion business in 2000
- As vice president and general manager of LAN switching in the Enterprise group, Ullal was responsible for unified communications, IP telephony, content networking and policy networking.
- She oversaw some 20 mergers and acquisitions for Cisco in the enterprise sector.
Jayshree named Senior Vice President of Data Center & Switching, reporting to John Chambers;
- She got responsibilities included the direction of the modular Nexus and Catalyst Data Center Switching and Application/Virtualization services which saw about $15 billion of direct and indirect revenue
- Ullal’s career at Cisco spanned more than 15 years.
Ullal CEO & President of Arista Networks:
- In October 2008, co-founders Andy Bechtolsheim & David Cheriton named Ullal CEO & President of Arista Networks, a cloud networking company located in Santa Clara, CA
- In June 2014, Ullal led Arista Networks to an IPO on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol ANET
Forbes magazine named , Ullal one of the top five most influential people in the networking industry:
- She was named by Forbes magazine as "one of the top five most influential people in the networking industry today" for her work at Arista Networks
Neerja Sethi, co-founded IT consulting and outsourcing firm Syntel. NRI Neerja Sethi is an entrepreneur who has an estimated net worth of $1.1 billion:
- In 1980, Neerja became co-founded IT consulting and outsourcing firm Syntel, along with her husband, Bharat Desai in their apartment in Troy, Michigan
- The couple started the business with an initial investment of just $2,000.
- She served as treasurer of the company for 16 years, and currently the vice president for corporate affairs
- She was a member of Syntel's board of directors.
- French IT firm Atos SE bought Syntel for $3.4 billion in October 2018. Sethi got an estimated $510 million for her stake.
- Sethi, who had served as an executive at Syntel since 1980, did not join Atos after the acquisition.
Neerja Sethi, 63, was born in India and did her bachelor from Delhi University in mathematics and Maters of Computer Science from Oakland University. She did Masters in Business Administration in operations research from Delhi University.
Neerja Sethi met her husband in the U.S. while working for pioneering IT firm Tata Consulting Services which they attempted to emulate. She has two children with her husband, Bharat.
Bharat Desai was born in Kenya and got his IT degree from IIT-Bombay. He moved to the US in 1976 as a programmer for Tata Consulting Services. He received MBA degree from the University of Michigan. In 2014, he was ranked the richest NRI in the World Billionaires list in Forbes Richie Rich.Sethi ranked 21st on the magazine's list of America's 60 self-made richest women, down from rank 14 in 2015.
Neha Narkhede, software engineer, CTO and cofounder of Confluent. Net Worth $360M:
- Neha is cofounder and chief technology officer of Confluent and company currently valued at $2.5 billion.
- In 2014, she and two LinkedIn colleagues founded Confluent to build tools for companies using Apache Kafka, which became open source in 2011
- She helped to develop Apache Kafka to handle the networking site's huge influx of data.
- she helped develop Apache Kafka to handle the networking site's huge influx of data.
- The company raised $125 million in January 2019 in a round led by Sequoia Capital, bringing its total funding to $206 million.
It counts Goldman Sachs, Netflix and Uber as customers.
| She dreams of working in Silicon Valley while living in India. She applied to graduate school and when she was accepted into a program, she moved to the United States. She believed that she could create things and control her own destiny. To support her interests, her parents ensured that she did three things: learned how to use computers, attended the best schools and modeled women leaders. Unbeknownst to young Narkhede, her parents put her on a path to become a leader that women and girls would look up to one day.
Forbes: NRI Richest on the Planet ....READ MORE