Telegraph annonaced on Tuesday
Asian including NRIs with business interests based in UK
Lakshmi Mittal and the Hinduja
London, May 08, 2007
Col. Sunder Singh
The Daily Telegraph on Tuesday announced a new Asian
rich list based on business interests in UK and excluded
other NRIs whose business interests are overseas such as
Lakshmi Mittal and the financial services
business of the Hinduja brothers.
Lord Swraj Paul, industrialist, Chairman of the Caparo Group,
is worth 750 million pounds is the second richest
British Asian with business interests based in the UK, next only
to Mike Jatania of the Lornamead cosmetics group.
Jatania has already amassed a £650m
fortune by building a portfolio of cosmetics and personal care
brands such as Harmony hairspray, Lipsyl lip salve and Yardley
perfume through his family company Lornamead.Mike Jatania and
family are worth 850 million pounds.
- Vijay and Bhikhu Patel, who are worth 500 million
pounds, have been placed third. The Patel brothers arrived in
the UK from Kenya when Vijay was just 16. They now head Waymade
Healthcare, a wholesale pharmaceuticals business. In an attempt
to build the Asian Glaxo, the brothers have created a subsidiary,
Amdipharm, which aims to develop and launch new drugs.
- Gulu Lalvani and family (450 million pounds)
have been listed as the fourth richest British Asians. Karachi-born
Lalvani is the founder and Chairman of Binatone, one of the world's
largest manufacturers of digital cordless phones. Lalvani founded
Binatone in Britain in 1958 with his brother Partap, naming it
after their sister, Bina.
Singh, luxury hotel boss (360 million pounds);
- Tom Singh, founder of New Look, the third largest
womens’-wear retailer (350 million pounds);
- Ramesh and Pratibha Sachdev, founder of Life
Style Care (350 million pounds);
- Sir Anwar Pervez and family, cash and carry
supermarket king (250 million pounds); Firoz Kassam, hotels and
leisure magnate (240 million pounds);
- Navin and Varsha Engineer, pharmaceuticals
business (220 million pounds).
- Nat Puri, Nottingham's richest man who built
Melton Medes Group into a business empire in packaging paper,
is the 13th richest (130 million pounds).
The Asian business owners in London have a turnover of about 60
billion pounds a year, while real Asian wealth increased by 69 per
cent between 1998 and 2005, compared with UK GDP up just 23 per
NRI Rich and are in Politics:
- Parmjit Dhanda, labour MP for Gloucester
- Keith Vaz, Labour MP for Leicester East
- Ashok Kumar, Labour MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland,
- Priti Patel, prospective Conservative candidate for Witham